Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Verily, with every difficulty, there is relief

God teaches us in many ways. Today, I am humbled. Truly humbled.

Just came back from seeing another friend of mine whom i haven't seen in a long2 time. A friend who went with us to the US to study. A special friend of ours. You see, a long time ago, he suffered 90% burns on his body, from a fire that burned his entire dorm room. He survived, but was permanently scarred. I don't remember the details, but he had a lot of skin grafting done on him. His roommate didn't survive.

But God, you see, works in mysterious ways. That's the American point of view.

I know him from before our trip to the US. I know his type. Always positive, always optimistic. The 'never give up till you die' type. Hmmm... come to think of it, that kind of fiery spirit was apparent in most of us in that particular American Degree Program (very, very interesting). He had a rather handsomey cutely face, the kind ladies would usually fall for (I dunno, he can charm quite well too i guess :) )... the fire made a good job of taking that away.

But you know what the fire failed to take away though? His spirit.

Through all that has happened to him, he ploughed on, went through life holding the reins... and today:

Today I see him, and he hasn't changed, still the spunky little guy i knew 8 years ago. Yes, that's how long I haven't seen him. While in therapy, he fell in love, and got married. I know what attracted his wife... and i know it very well... :)

A year back, he returned to the States for a short while. When he came back, he was a few millions bucks richer. He had won the lawsuit against the University he was in. Bought a business - for his sisters to run, now setting up another business for his brother, and in the future: one for his ownself.

God taketh... but God also giveth...

This story is repeated in this group of people many times over. We had a friend losing a leg, going through depression, change in religion - hmmm... in fact, as far back as i can remember, we also had a friend who didn't know English that much (and going to the US!!!) but learnt it in a year. These are friends who have achieved so much while being so young - practically nobodies yet. Yet not a single word of put-down do i hear from them. For this group of friends whom I have mostly lost touch with, I offer you my salutations... and my humble honor.

This is the group for which I will forever hold my utmost respect. Not those who just think they're cool - but now i have no ill-feelings towards them either.

I am humbled.

Hope to see you all again real soon.

New leaf. Please pray for me...

~Tribute to Wady, and all of ATU1~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

danggg..i'm touched man!!!! thank u!