Friday, January 12, 2007

The Lost Comparison

I went for friday sermons with my dad, my brother and a colleague of ours. Dad was rambling about how he needed to take my brother out of his present position and send him for leadership and development courses. He started comparing us: me and and my bro, how I'm moving forward and my bro's just lost in the wind.

Dad, you gotta understand, I'm no hero, no superman. lil' bro isn't either... but you can't compare us. That's so wrong in so many levels.

I've learnt in life (and marriage) that i can't compare someone to someone else. People tend to make wrong judgments about people when they compare. When you're comparing, and you're setting someone else above the other, the dude below gets an unfair beating. Small mistakes become big in your eyes, and big achievements become insignificant. The dude above, on the other hand; his stupid little minor achievements that don't amount to nothing get all the attention, and his huge fumbles and mistakes, we turn a blind eye upon. So unfair and wrong in so many levels - and destructive too. The little child of discrimination, I'd like to call it.

For those of you who do compare - parents, teachers, bosses, lovers - out there: stop. Find people's good and praise them. Find their weaknesses and counsel them. That's the best way to show your love, or even your loathing.

No person can be someone else.

And my brother can't be me. But i see greatness in him. He just has to see it for himself. And what better people to help him see it if it isn't his parents, who love him dearly?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you do love Asyfar afterall..hehehehee

Kak Yeen

Acap said...

Who doesn't love his own brother? but my bro is something else... more than that :)

Thanks kak yeen...